Friday, November 17, 2006

-- Another Example of Right-Wing Hate Speech

According to Media Matters (and many others):

On the November 14 edition of his CNN Headline News program, Glenn Beck interviewed Rep.-elect Keith Ellison (D-MN), who became the first Muslim ever elected to Congress on November 7, and asked Ellison if he could "have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards up on the table." After Ellison agreed, Beck said: "I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' " Beck added: "I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."
I find this to be appalling. If an employee of CNN asked the same question of a visitor to their studio, that employee would be disciplined. The Human Resources department would be involved, and if they have one, their Diversity Manager would be contacted, and disciplinary action would be taken.
Beck's statement is discriminatory and bigoted and needs to be addressed promptly and treated appropriately. CNN needs to take action against this man, as it would against any other employee. In this day in America we understand that it is imperative that all Americans work together and get along, and to discriminate against anyone based on their religious beliefs cannot be tolerated. As such, CNN has a duty to its audience and the American public to ensure that anyone airing on their network follow appropriate protocol in their speech toward others. Beck did not act appropriately, and must be disciplined.
I have written to CNN to ask what they intend to do about this incident, and when (if) I hear back from them, I will post their response. Hopefully they will do the right thing and take action against Beck to ensure that this kind of discrimination is not repeated on CNN.

No comments: