The Senate put out a two month extension, which made the House bristle. After all, they said, a two month extension is useless. We need a full year. The Senate was being disingenuous to the American people by not extended the cuts longer. The House was simply interested in doing what's best for the country.
I find this hard to believe. Scrutinizing the bill gives a completely different picture. The final bill that was signed by Barack Obama does the following:
- Extends the current payroll tax rate
- Renews federal unemployment benefits
- Stops cuts in Medicare payments to doctors
- Approves construction of an oil pipeline from Canada to Texas
- Increases home loan fees from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae
- Requires the House and Senate to work on a bill extending the cuts for one year